Saturday, March 31, 2012

Bobby Pins ~ Humane Society Fund Raiser


I always imagined that I would live alone as a crazy cat lady.

  It never occurred to me that somewhere out there was a person that loved animals even MORE than I did.  And then, one day, I met Patrick.  On our first date, Patrick made it very clear that he adored animals of all kinds.  He spent a good portion of the evening describing a stray cat and her litter of kittens born behind his couch.  I learned about the birthing box he made for her, a late night trip to the emergency vet when she couldn't nurse, and a detailed description of each baby (Squish Face, Turtle Face, etc.)  He was so sweet that I fell completely in love with him: how could I not?  Today we are married with three kitties and he is happily employed at the Humane Society doing what he loves most: rescuing animals.

Patrick and baby Dora in my bed, taken about seven years ago.  Awwwwww......

Currently, he is helping with a Humane Society fundraiser by collecting donations especially for sick and injured animals.  I don't have a lot of spare cash, buuuut I can make things!  To help raise money, I set to work and created a batch of up-cycled bobby pins.  With leftover pins from the Mockingjay Bobby Pins tutorial as a base, scrap wire, buttons, old plastic flowers and bits of lace came together perfectly to make sweet, festive hair accessories for spring!


His goal is to raise $4,000 for the care, medicine and medical procedures needed by stray cats and dogs that are brought into the facility.  These services help them heal and get ready for a new 'forever home.'  If you are interested in making a donation to make sick animals happy -and my husband- you can send a couple of dollars to the Humane Society fundraising site.  You can also stop by the Humane Society of West Michigan and pick up a set of these fun earth friendly bobby pins in exchange for a donation.




Also, I don't mean to brag, but....check out this adorable sign that Patrick made for the Humane Society.  Pretty impressive, huh?  If you stop by to make a donation (or bring home a new friend) you will see it hanging on the walls everywhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment